Saturday, October 03, 2009

Little Boots / Music Go Music @ The Independent, San Francisco, 19 September 2009

Music Go Music (5)

I was tired and not looking forward to seeing support bands. So it took me a while to realise I really liked Music Go Music. At first I was distracted becasue their singer Meredith Metcalf was so enthusiastic, throwing a few ballet poses, playing air violin while standing one one leg, shrieking with delight when a song went well. Then I tuned into the Mark King style bass which is the heart of their sound and I got it. The combination of 80's Britfunk and Abba seems strangely fresh. Here is a video of Music Go Music on some sort of pretend TV show:

The audience seemed to be a gay/straight mix of disco fans. I get stuck by one attractive couple who were really into the DJ and I had to watch them bounce around happily. I shrunk into my (metaphorical) long overcoat.

You can tell from Little Boots' name that she is a trooper. I was half hoping the power would fail as I am sure that she would be able to entertain the crowd with a flashlight and a singalong. She wears posh frocks, writes her own twitter feed and posts bedroom YouTube videos of songs played on wacky electronic instruments.

She is, in short, the perfect modern pop star.

little boots

For this tour she has a tasteful drummer and another keyboardist. I felt she missed the backing singers that she sometimes uses to add to her slightly thin voice.

Little Boots @ The Independent (15)

She played the songs off her CD. I would have liked to see her being a bit more relaxed and trying some different things in the way that she does in her YouTube videos. But the show gained momentum as it went along, climaxing with modern classic Remedy, which included a singalong.

No comments:

Post a Comment